Let’s start off with this piece of advice.

Waking up at 4.45am on a workday so you can cast on a new project at exactly 5.08am is not something I recommend doing very often. In fact I’d say once every 4 years is about right.

It was easy casting on for the Jayne Hat tea cozy since it was size 13 needles and bulky yarn (yay Webs!), I even got the ribbing and several rounds of stockingnette completed before I decided to stop and actually watch the opening ceremonies more closely. I think I fell asleep on the couch around 6am (I remember seeing the Guinea-Bissau team walking into the stadium) with Nicki curled up on my chest.

Then 8am rolled around and I was still sleeping on the couch. All I can say is it’s a good thing I took a shower when I first woke up otherwise I would never have made it into work in time for my 9am meeting.

Look what I did! That is all the knitting I did before I made it into work today. Nicki was nice enough to hold the hat down so you can see all the details. I missed the picture right after this when he sprawled on it so all you could see was a tuft of bright orange under his butt. Do you like my snazzy row marker? A metallic lime green paperclip works just fine in a pinch.

The big needles and bulky yarn made knitting 4inches of the hat a breeze. The downside to knitting that quickly? I only brought the orange yarn to work with me today and unless I want to knit a water pitcher cozy I was at the point where I needed to switch to the yellow. 

Once home I figured I needed to carb up and snuck a piece of asian swiss roll cake before tackling the yellow section of the hat. That’s when I noticed the original pattern called for size 10 needles and not 13. Why I was convinced I needed 13’s is beyond me, in hindsight the looser gauge is probably better for felting anyway. I happily knit away on the yellow and dealt with the dreaded hat decreases. The problem is I only have size 13 needles in my Denise kit so I had to attempt to magic loop the decreases with fat needles and that annoying thick Denise cord.  Then came the earflaps, I had no clue how big to make these and just guessed at a size. It looks proportional in the un-felted piece but who knows what will happen post-felting.

The whole thing was cast off just before 8pm on 8/8/08. How spooky.

Now I just need to do a load of laundry tomorrow so I can felt it and cross one item off my list. It’s only 9pm and I’m eyeing the Sakura shawl now. I should take it easy and relax but I think the shawl might distract me from the ridiculously loud music my upstairs neighbors are playing. I swear they put the entire lineup of Lilith Fair on random and cranked the volume up to maximum. Don’t get me wrong, I like that music just fine, heck it takes me back to when I actually went to Lilith Fair but why are a couple of 20-something guys playing it at full blast on a Friday night?